Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wasai--- Taiwan, as i see it. (1)

I am not going to complain about the traffic; enough foreigners do that already. I like Taiwanese traffic. There are a lot of vehicles, motor scooters, buses, and trucks; there are lots of people, little space. In Canada traffic is orderly. There is no merit in that, we have the space and the police give out a lot of tickets.

I do mind scooters with their motors running, especially in front of a store where the sidewalk is covered. Don’t the owners know about carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide? It hurts everybody’s lungs!

I don’t like people spitting. And I absolutely hate garbage in the water. These things drive me up the (angry) wall. Nobody spits in Canada. Even “bad boys” turn off their motors when they go into a store. It’s highly illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with the motor running! Even insane Canadians don’t throw garbage into the water where the fish live. We like fishing too much. Litter, I can understand. In Canada, the good people always pick up after the bad people. In Taiwan, I’ve seen groups of students or church groups like Tzu Ji pick up litter. And Taiwan is a lot cleaner than before.

I have mixed feelings about dogs on scooters. It looks dangerous but everyone is used to it. But putting dogs in tiny cages would be against the law in Canada.







I love Taiwanese temples, but why do people have to light a handful of incense at a time? Lighting only one is enough for God or Buddha. But the incense sellers make a lot more money this way, don’t you think? Maybe they invented the custom. At the expense of the air quality, I should think.

Submitted to Wasai Taiwan by: Ivan Marinov (Hsinchu)















For Expats





For Taiwanese







No comments: